Olive oil is a great classic in Mediterranean cuisine. But in addition to appearing in any dish that is taken to the table, it is also an essential ingredient for our hair, since it contains a lot of properties that are beneficial to our body.
Some of them you will already know, but do you know them all?
What properties does olive oil have?
Olive oil, our liquid gold, is very good for the overall health of our body. Among other benefits, it helps us regulate cholesterol levels and calcium absorption in the bones. It protects us against excess acids and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Surely more than once you have found olive oil in the ingredients of your cosmetics. And, for thousands of years, olive oil has also been used as a natural cosmetic for the skin for two main reasons:
- It stops the premature aging of the skin thanks to its antioxidant action (Vitamin E) that gives it elasticity and hydration.
- Repairs damaged skin tissues (wounds, scars or marks) with its great vitamin and moisturizing content.
What are the benefits of olive oil in the hair?
Olive oil acts as a natural moisturizer against damaged or brittle hair, providing the nutrients you need and fighting dryness and lack of shine. Its main benefits are:
- Stronger and less brittle hair thanks to Vitamin E.
- Stimulates hair growth with its regenerative properties.
- Prevents hair loss by helping to strengthen the hair follicle.
- Repair the split and dry ends leaving them healthy and bright.
- It moisturizes the hair returning the moisture and natural shine that it has lost due to external factors (sun, chlorine, dryer, iron, cold …).
Homemade hair masks with olive oil, are they really effective?
More and more we are going in search of home remedies to improve the appearance of our hair, and olive oil is one of the main ingredients of these homemade masks.
However, we must be very careful when applying it, as it is highly moisturizing and we could achieve the opposite effect as desired. If we get more than necessary, it can generate excess fat and leave our hair looking dirty and careless.
And let’s not talk about the nuisance of making our own mask at home. Are you sure you want to be cleaning oil from corners you didn’t even know?
If you want to receive all the nutrients and vitamins that olive oil can provide to your hair without worrying, our recommendation is to use products that already contain it in the proper dose. Like the Garnier Original Remedies Mythical Olive paraben-free range, a highly nutritious remedy for dry and sensitized hair, which will nourish your hair without weighing it down. Thanks to the fatty acids and Vitamin E of the oil, make your hair look intensely nourished, light and soft to the touch.
Now that you know the benefits of olive oil in your hair, you will surely include it in your care routine and it will no longer only serve as a dressing in your favorite salad. Did you already know the properties of this ingredient? Have you ever used it?